Thursday 7 August 2014

Tony Husband

Tony Husband is a BRILLIANT cartoonist. We caught him at 12 on the Sunday and unsure what to expect, stood a bit away from the stage, behind excited fans and those there for their morning coffee.

First, Tony began with a talk about his cartoon book, detailing the struggles of dementia in a comic but poignant way. This book has helped so many families suffering from dementia and is certainly  a great achievement. We were also shown how easy it is to draw a range of animals using pretty much the same structure for all.

After breaking the ice a bit, Tony got the audience involved too, which led to hilarious results! We were invited to shout out what we'd like drawn. This gained a variety of responses, ranging from the hilarious 'A FROG IN MY TENT' to a drawing of Tim Peaks very own creator, Tim Burgess! All were fabulous and had each and every diner guest laughing and smiling along. What a brilliant start to Sunday morning. My favourite was a sketch of a cat doing his business in somebody's garden, see below. It really was hilarious. One thing that surprised me was Tony's spontaneity. Just shout out what you want drawn, and less than a minute later, tadaaa! There it is. In front of your very eyes. Amazing.

Here are a few things Tony drew during the talk...

The fabulous cat cartoon

The mud at Kendal Calling

Tim Burgess
Tony also drew a fabulous cartoon for me. We took the Kendal Calling space theme as our inspiration...
It's Tim and I in Tim Peaks Diner as a spaceship! Wow. So amazing! Expect to see it on the blog homepage as soon as we figure out how to do such complex things.

Tim Peaks Diner featuring Katie and Tim!
Big thanks to Tony!

We also got to interview him. Here it is...

Could you tell me a little about your artistic process?

How I think... Well, basically, I draw very fast, which is a gift I think. I'm very prolific. I just go into my studio and if I've got nothing specific to do, I'll just lie on the couch with a blank piece of paper, and cross it off into about six squares. Then I just draw and come up with ideas, things that spring to my mind. I then jot them down and leave them for a couple of days and then go back. If they're still funny, I draw them up and try to sell them. So, you give it a bit of time, as an idea you have might not be as funny a few days later. I don't know where the ideas come from, I just know I can create ideas from nothing, and I've made a living from it which is great.

Your cartoons here were very spontaneous, are they always like this?

They seem to be. People say where do you get your ideas from but they're just there. I don't know where they're from and I don't want to either. If I start worrying about it, it might just disappear, so I'm just glad it's there. There's a big lake of ideas that I'm tapped into. I think whilst I draw,  I can multi-task: think, talk and draw! That's about the only thing I can multi-task with.

How did you get into drawing?

From being at school, I always loved drawing. I'd have liked to have been an artist but I was always more of a natural cartoonist. I used to read Punch magazine and Private Eye and wish I could do that as it seemed such a great way to make a living. I started selling cartoons, then my name and style became recognised and it just took off! Private Eye helps, definitely.

What key features of a person or object do you take when making a cartoon?

It's the personality, really. I'm not a people watcher particularly, although we all are. I must subconsciously see someone and just start drawing. I see a situation really. Couples together, for example, and I weigh up the situation. That's how I do it. It's all about the people.

Finally, what's your favourite cartoon to draw?

My favourite cartoon... I love drawing Yobs in Private Eye. There's also one of two soldiers in a castle in Medieval times. The soldiers are looking down on a conservatory attached to the castle. The King and Queen are sat there, drinking wine. The soldiers are saying, "Yes, it looks very nice, but defensively, I think it's going to be our weak spot". That's probably my favourite.

Thanks Tony! You're a great guy and your cartoons are fabulous.









0 comments:

Post a Comment